Monday, October 11, 2010

Surgeries ~



When we accepted Rachel's referral, I knew we would be looking at multiple surgeries. I really expected them to be right away....


Turns out she doesn't need any until she is around 7 or 8. I am so glad she has a tough personality, our girl, she is a fighter. I know this will serve her well in kindergarten a few years from now. Because not only will she be Asian with white parent's, she will also have a very visible special need. And we all know how kids can be to each other. It breaks my heart to even think about....




Which brings me to Gracie, my sweet precious quiet little JJ. She had a cleft appointment today. It was not good news. All the pain and suffering she went through when we first brought her home?? All for naught. Well, sort of. It did do her well to have her palate repaired. And her ear tubes, sort of. She didn't get pneumonia as much and food hasn't come out of her nose for quite some time.

However, after having speech for over a year we have come to the conclusion that nothing more can help her until she has another few surgeries.

Her p flap is gone, her bone graft may or may not still be intact and she needs ear tubes, her third set in a year and a half.

We'll get her through this and she will be the better for it. Our new doctor is a perfectionist, so I know it will be perfect.

What I worry about and what keeps me up at night, is the thought of the teasing she will face at school. My heart breaks, I know how cruel kids can be and I don't want my girl to go through all that, but, I also can't protect her forever......






2 comments:

Love for Lilly Yin said...

I worry about the same thing. Kids are so mean and cruel and wish I could change the world. BUT for every mean comment, surely there will those who love our kids too, and says supportive things. I pray that families teach their children about how we are all the same.
Good luck in all your surgeries. We just had the bone graft and lip and nose revision...I think she has a hole again though, ugh.

Kelley said...

You know Desiree, kids can be cruel--it's true. But kids can also be so kind and loving, and with the right teacher to guide them, they can rally around each other and provide wonderful support. I will pray that your darlings get the love and support that they will need from their classmates, and that the surgeries--whenever they happen--go well.